1.21.2012

Flash Bang

Paul


Just came back from a shoot and my heart is still raising fast just thinking about it. This is my very first time to shoot the streets at night with flash! You can just imagine how it feels to go straight to your subject who is a perfect stranger then BANG off with the flash. It felt like I'm putting my life on the line by just taking photos. On my second attempt to shoot I got confronted by one foreigner:

F: Why are you taking a photo of me?! What is it for? 
(His face went grumpy)
M: Nothing really. Just for a project and I thought you're and interesting guy. 
(Can't really think of any excuse)
F: What?!
M: I'm sorry for my rudeness
(please don't call the security!)
F: No it's ok! I'm just joking.
(Then smiled and winked at me with a one thumb up)

I smiled back and then hoped that he's really joking.

Lately I've been following Bruce Gilden and Charlie Kirk's works and I'm totally amazed/inspired by their works. They're both photographers who are well known about their unique style which is shooting people on the streets with flash. What I love about their photos is that they both seem to capture the honesty and energy in their photos. 

I like honest photos!
I love honest people!

Can't really say if I'm trying to copy their style. If this style will work for me then I'll make it my own. 

No comments: